B.Tech in Mining Engineering
The Department of Mining Engineering was established in the year 1984 and about 630 undergraduates passed out from the portals of the department till 2014. Several girls obtained their B. Tech Mining Degree from this department. The department celebrated its Silver Jubilee during 2009-10. The programme curriculum for B.Tech Mining Engineering has been modified to ensure the attainment of the Programme Educational Objectives (PEOs). The programme envisages the development of certain skills and knowledge which are enumerated in the Programme Outcomes (POs). The programme curriculum comprising of theory, lab practical, industrial and mine visits, industrial training and project works enables/satisfy the programme specific criteria for Mining Engineering. In addition to the core mining engineering subjects, a number of program specific elective subjects have been incorporated to enable the students to attain a high level of competence and proficiency in the field of Mining Engineering. The course curriculum is not static and is periodically revised and improved to keep in time with the technological developments in the domain of Mining Engineering. Addition of new courses and modification of existing courses is a continuous process. Our students have participated in technical events organized by other institutes (IITs, NITs and other engineering institutions of the country and other country) and won awards for their contributions. The B.Tech. Programme enjoys a remarkable placement up to 100% every year. The About 35% of the students pursue their higher studies after their graduation, mostly in U.S, Canada and Australia with scholarship and even without fellowship.
Programme Educational Objectives (PEOs)
- Graduate Mining Engineers of NITK, Surathkal shall have ability to solve complex problems of mining and earth resources engineering by the application of sound engineering principles
- They shall have the spirit of team work and inculcate the habit of lifelong learning for achieving professional excellence.
- They shall have in depth knowledge in the entire value chain of the profession starting from exploration to beneficiation of mineral deposits in a coordinated manner.
Program Outcomes (POs)
- Our students will be able to solve the mining engineering problems by application of knowledge of basic sciences, engineering, geo-technology, economics, environment & management.
- Our graduates will have the technical skill to design mine excavations and conduct mining operations under a variety of geo-mining environments.
- Achieve all round optimization of various unit operations of mining, ranging from exploration to beneficiation.
- Analyze and evaluate the techno-economic feasibility of mining projects and deep understanding of economic and environmental implications of mine design and operations.
- Students will be fully equipped with skills and knowledge related to mine management, optimization techniques with multi-disciplinary skills for achieving sustainable development of mineral industry.
M.Tech (By Research) in Rock Excavation Technology & Management
M.Tech (By Research) is aimed at students interested more in exposure to research in various fields of Mining Engineering. It emphasizes research work, providing students a distinctive opportunity to undertake research work and innovation.
There are full-time and Part-time Research scholars. Active Research areas are:
Under Water Blasting
Rock Mechanics and Ground Control
Mine Planning and Design
Environmental Management in Mines
Noise Pollution and Control
Rock Mechanics and Slope Stability
Mine Safety Engineering and Management
Occupational Health and safety
Mine Power Systems Engineering
Surface Mine Design, Operations and Reclamation
Applied Mine Surveying